Tennis Health Benefits
Tennis can really have an impact on your health physically and mentally. Whatever age you are, you can play tennis with your family or friends as an outdoor activity. The key point of tennis health benefits is, boosts your metabolic function and aerobic potential. It helps you lose body fat and strengthen muscles and bones. This racket sport can do wonders for your body by reducing stress and enhancing your focus and engagement. It is a great physical work out for people of any age. Additionally, tennis can cause injuries too which should be prevented by maintaining a fitness level, warming up your muscles, and playing tennis suitable to your fitness level and age.
When you do something best in life, you don’t really want to give that up, and for me it’s tennis.Roger Freder
How to Play
A tennis game requires single or double players. Tennis means to “hold” or “receive”. This game is played internationally and nationally all over the world. One wonders if it is the game of men only. No, it is for both men and women. Different matches are held separately between men and women however, mixed matches happen not so often. This racket sport requires three gear: a racket, net, and a ball. Furthermore, a court is necessary only when a game is between professionals. Want to know the best part? You can easily learn tennis by just giving a read to the below points.
There’s one thing I’m really good at, and that’s hitting the ball over a net, in a box. I’m excellent.Serena Williams
Key Points of Tennis
- Your aim should be to hit the ball to the opposite side in such a way that the opponent misses it.
- You should start playing tennis anywhere in the park or a club or in any local court. This is just to practice and learn strategies so that you can easily play on the court.
- Buy yourself basic tennis supplies like a racquet and a ball. There is no need to buy any professional or advanced level equipment if you are a beginner.
- First, learn the basics and play against the wall then go for finding an opponent so that you can learn quickly and properly.
- Spend some time learning about the court’s parts and its rule and the basic scoring methods.
- There are two basic types of strokes. Forehand and Backhand strokes. One should know the difference between them before playing.
- Stay consistent and focused only then you can make up for court level game.
A racket is made up of graphite and carbon fibre. However, graphite made rackets are commonly preferred by players as they are lightweight and easy to handle. A standard tennis racket is 27 inches but generally, it ranges from 26.5 to 29 inches. Furthermore, head size or frame usually ranging from 106 to 118 inches. The woven network spread all over the frame area affects your power and control. An open string network offers more power and spin to your shot, while the closed network provides control and small shots. The grip of the racket should range from 4 to 4 5/8 inches. A good grip offers more comfort and can maximize a player’s performance. The grip can be categorized into 3 types: semi Western provides topspin and power, preferred by baseline players. Eastern grip produces flat and fast shots. Advised for players who love attacking the net.
Continental grip is commonly used either for forehands or backhands. It offers defensive or quick shots.
Generally, rackets are three types :
- Power racket is of a large head, wide in length and lightweight usually advised for beginners or advanced players for more powerful shots.
- Control rackets are mostly heavy with minor heads for more control. Professional players normally prefer such racket to add their own power to shots.
- Tweener rackets are fully balanced preferred by all level players. They give a good amount of control and power.
Tennis court is a firm rectangular surface with a net lengthened across the center. Dimensions of a tennis court are 78 feet long, the width of 27 – 36 feet for both singles and doubles matches. The service line is 21 feet from the net. Additional clear space for players to run for overruns ball is 60 feet wide and 120 feet long. A net stretched across the court divides the court into half having different types of surfaces with their unique characteristics are utilized to form a tennis court.
Clay court has a playing surface made of limestone, crushed stones, shale of brick. Can produce high jump of the ball and carries off the advantage of big serves. Clay courts are usually comfortable to play on, preventing serious injuries. It helps the player to develop more skills. But it must be maintained properly.
Grass courts are made of highly compact soil that helps you to play better, it is quick, and the ball moves faster after hitting the surface. Nevertheless, the ball bounce is very short and low, so it is hard to play that way.
Hard courts are made of rigid material usually covered with the acrylic surface to provide more consistency of oscillation. Hard courts are generally faster than clay courts. To play a great game, the player must move quickly and react to the ball.
Carpet courts are replaceable and are made of artificial turf filled with sand. They are usually for indoor tennis games; however, they cannot be used permanently as they can’t be used for professional games.
The tennis ball is generally fluorescent yellow made of rubber covered in wool or nylon shell. The official diameter of the ball 6.54 to 6.86cm with masses ranging from 50 to 59.4g. Modern tennis balls are loaded with air and surfaced by felt-covered rubber gives a uniform jump and helps to slow down the ball. The extra covering added to the ball offer durability and longevity. Balls utilized at higher altitudes tend to have low initial pressure. Additionally, tennis balls are kept under pressure and are tested for their bounce by a drop from a height of 254cm.
Tips & Tricks for Tennis
So, you have decided to play tennis? A great decision but before you step into court, there are few things that you need to know.
I hit a ball for a living, but I have that passion to keep learning.Maria Sharapova
- Never focus on one stance. There are multiple times in a match where you would encounter a ball that is particularly easy to play with a different stance so you should never put all your energy in learning one stance.
- Pick suitable gear always. Apart from physical stamina and skills, the most important thing is your gear. Emphasize on it, do your research, and pick the gear that is best suited for you.
- Tennis is a game of movement. Footwork plays an important role in this game. The better your co-ordination with your feet is, swifter your movement will be and better you would be at tennis.
- Learn how to serve properly. Serve is probably one of the most important points in the game. A good serve can get your opponent under pressure right from the start.
- You are weak at groundstrokes? Does your forehand lack a punch? It is fine, everyone has a weakness. But your opponent should never learn about it. Be a guardian of your weakness!
- The practice is the key. Always try to learn new tricks when you are practising and master them. Better your practice is, better upper hand you will have on the opponent in the match.